Wine, liquor, beer and other drinks are of high value and of sensitive nature. Industry specific logistics solutions are required to address these attributes.
The Cyprus Beverage Environment
Cyprus is an island, and as a result the continental short trucking transit times are not achievable since sea carriers’ services are used resulting in increased transit times
- It is a favored seasonal destination for more than two million tourists, three times the local population, which creates beverage demand variations stretching to as much as 3:1 in monthly comparisons in specific areas
- 98% of the businesses in Cyprus are small and medium size enterprises. This fact is also reflected in the healthcare and pharmaceuticals sector at the POS (Point-Of-Sale) side. Both on-trade and off-trade sectors are highly populous. As a result, the supply chain has more orders of smaller quantities to many POSs thus adding to the logistics costs
- Infrastructure at the POSs is poor in terms of receiving facilities. This extends the time spent at the POS therefore reflected in the logistics cost
- Retail Stores and HORECA points have insufficient storage space. This results to more frequent deliveries
- Electronic ordering and invoicing is not yet developed in Cyprus. This increases the overall administration cost to both suppliers and retailers